MSRC Student Contest
Calling All RT Student Members!
- Are you curious about the inner workings of your professional organizations?
- Do you believe that advocacy, networking, and communication are important to our advancement as a profession?
- Do you want to go to Fort Lauderdale, FL this summer?
If the answer to all of these is YES, we have an opportunity for you! MSRC wishes to encourage the professional growth of the students in our field. We believe early exposure to the interplay among and between the state societies, the American Association for Respiratory Care
Board of Directors (BOD) and the AARC House of Delegates (HOD) will be a wonderful experience for a motivated student.Are YOU that student?
If so, MSRC will provide you up to 3 nights’ lodging, round trip airfare, and per-diem expenses for the Summer HOD meeting, held as part of the 2019 AARC Summer Forum
, in Fort Lauderdale, FL which will be held on July 23-24, 2019. One student will be selected
for this opportunity. You'll get to meet, network with, and get advice from some of the legends in our field; people you have or will read about in AARC publications, authors of textbooks and guides, and members of our national leadership. How big of a deal is it? Ask Katey Gubbini
, 2019 graduate and last year's attendee:
In exchange for this opportunity, we as a few simple things in return:
I went to the AARC HOD meeting in Las Vegas because it sounded interesting and the MSRC actually pays for a significant amount of this incredible experience. I am so glad that I went! I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into, but it was worth it because I learned so much and met several amazing people: other students, AARC board members and delegates, and even our own state delegates. I have a fuller understanding of the AARC’s role in the Respiratory Care field now and if I should ever want to pursue a greater role in the MSRC and AARC I already have some familiarity with its workings.
Additionally, with the AARC Mentoring Application, you have the opportunity to be among students who are paired with a mentor from the AARC for six months. My mentor was super accomplished and at the same time so friendly and helpful to me! He shared his story of why he went into respiratory, gave me advice and even looked over my resume.
- You commit to the travel dates of July 22 through July 25, 2019. AARC holds a "meet and greet" (which you will attend) on the evening of July 22. There are meetings throughout the the next two days, finishing up around 5:00 on Day 2. You will fly home the next day.
- You will cover travel up front, then be reimbursed for airfare, lodging, and per-diem expenses after you submit a travel request form to our society administrator.
- You will write up your experience for the MSRC Communications and Education Committees and Student Liaison when you get back.
- You will agree to reimburse MSRC for any and all non-reimburseable expenses MSRC incurs in case you cancel your trip.
- You will represent MSRC and our membership appropriately while there (attending on time, dressing in business casual, etc.). That does NOT mean you can't have ANY fun, though. Just ask Katey!
Ready to apply? You'll just need to get a couple of things done by May 10:
- Complete the online HOD Experience entry form. Please note you need to be a member of MSRC AND AARC to enter. If you do not want to complete the form online, you can download a copy here. Either way, you'll need a letter of recommendation from your program director, and to write an 1 page/500 word essay on why professional organizations are important. Feel free to be as creative as you like, and extra consideration will be given to those who have already gotten themselves involved in some way!
- Complete the AARC entry form, found at http://c.aarc.org/member_services/house_delegates/mentorship_program
- Start packing!
Winners announced by May 24. Good luck!